The practices that we have adopted reflect requirements set out in all provincial and federal legislation. This includes the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), which applies to the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information in the course of commercial activities, including retail stores.
The North West Company
- is accountable for the personal information that we collect and have in our custody and has entrusted to its authorized agents or third party service providers.
- will inform employees and customers, where practical, as to why we must collect any of their personal information before the information is collected.
- will obtain consent (implied or informed) before or when we collect, use, or disclose personal information an individual. When allowed by law or contract, individuals may withdraw their consent at any time.
- limits the amount and type of personal information we collect. We will collect personal information only for the purposes that we have identified or as otherwise permitted by law.
- will use or disclose personal information only for the reasons that such information was provided it to us. We will keep personal information only as long as is necessary to accomplish these purposes.
- will endeavor to maintain the accuracy of the personal information in our possession or control.
- protects personal information with safeguards deemed appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- will be open about the policies and practices used to manage personal information.
- will, at an individual’s request, advise that individual of what personal information we have in our possession or control about, what it is being used for, and to whom and why it has been disclosed.
Please feel free to visit the following web sites:
- The Privacy Commissioner of Canada
- FAQ page about the Privacy Act and the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act
Personal information may include, but not be limited to, your name, address, telephone number, or email address. You may happen to provide us with such information through resources such as regular mail, our on-line application form or via our email addresses. In all cases, we will take steps to ensure that the information is handled securely. These steps are taken in order to comply with legislative requirements of applicable privacy laws. Personal information does not include aggregated information that does not allow an individual to be identified.
Collecting, Using and Protecting your Information
We collect, use and disclose personal information in accordance with applicable privacy and data protection laws and regulations. Cost U Less collects personal information (including, without limitation, names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses) that you provide when you (a) order a product from us; (b) sign up to join our newsletter/email club; (c) participate in a contest or sweepstakes promotion; (d) sign up for and/or fill out a survey or questionnaire; (e) apply for an employment opportunity; (f) contact Cost U Less by email or otherwise, this includes a customer service representative.
Information is only collected with your consent, and will be used for the sole purpose that is stipulated at the time the information is gathered. Your consent is deemed to be given when you send information to us through the internet. Cost U Less does not sell or share customer information with any other organization or person for any reason.
The information sent to Cost U Less is kept confidential and secure. We make every reasonable effort to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of personal information under our control. We operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems. Our security policies are reviewed and enhanced as necessary.
Only authorized employees and providers have access to your personal information. Where information is processed by a third party provider, we make sure, through our contracts with them, that all your information is kept secure. Our service providers may be located outside of Canada and may be required to disclose personal information under the laws of their jurisdiction. Information is only kept for the duration we are providing you with a product or service and for a reasonable time thereafter in the event that you wish to resume service.
Examples of how we use your personal information include:
Product and Service Fulfillment
- Fulfill and manage purchases, orders, payments, returns/exchanges, or requests for information, or to otherwise serve you
- Deliver coupons, promotions, sweepstakes, contests, newsletters, regular flyers, emails, as well as mobile coupons and messages you have chosen to receive
- Send marketing communications and other information you have chosen to receive regarding products, services and promotions
- Administer promotions
- Administer sweepstakes and contests
- By participating in sweepstakes and contests, email and personal data could be used for marketing purposes.
- Improve the effectiveness of our website, stores, mobile experience and marketing efforts
- Conduct research and analysis, including focus groups and surveys
- Perform other internal business activities as needed, or as described elsewhere in this policy
- To prevent fraudulent transactions, monitor against theft and otherwise protect our guests and our business
- To assist law enforcement and respond to subpoenas, search warrants, or other legal/regulatory orders or inquiries
Accuracy of Personal Information
For the most part, we collect personal information that is directly supplied by you. We will therefore assume the information you have provided us with is accurate. We will not make additional efforts to verify its accuracy or to update the information unless requested by you. Customers and/or applicants may request in writing access to their personal information; to do so please write to the address indicated below. Any information we have on record will be provided to you. You may at that time put in a request for your information to be updated to ensure its accuracy.
Non-Personal Information Collected Automatically
We do not require your personal information in order for you to access this website. We may collect information about you that is not personally identifiable such as the type of internet browser or computer operating system you are using and the domain name of the website from which you linked to our site. In addition, when you view our websites, we may store some information on your computer in the form of a “cookie” or similar file. Cookies allow us to tailor a website or promotion to better match your interests and preferences. Most Internet browsers enable you to erase cookies from your computer hard drive, block all cookies, or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. Please refer to your browser instructions or help screen to learn more about these functions. Cost U Less does not collect your personal information automatically, but we may tie the information that we do collect automatically (such as the type of internet browser that you use) to your previously submitted personal information.
Cost U Less allows service providers and third-party companies to collect certain non-personally identifiable information when you visit our websites and to use that information to serve ads for Cost U Less products or services or other companies’ products or services when you visit our website or other websites. The information (e.g., clickstream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) is used during your visits to NWC Motorsport’s website and other websites to provide advertisements about products and services that also may be of interest to you. These parties typically use a cookie or a web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioural advertising practice or to manage your choices (e.g., opt in or opt out) for this type of advertising, you can visit the Interactive Advertising Bureau of Canada (IAB Canada) website (http://iabcanada.com/).
If you would like to opt out of Google collecting your browsing history, please download their browser add-on here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/
You are responsible for the security of your account and password. Cost U Less will not be liable for any losses, damages or expenses arising out of or relating to any unauthorized use of such account or password.
Credit Card Security
We value your security and privacy with all online transactions. We use Secure Sockets Layer (“SSL”) technology to protect the security of your credit card information as it is transmitted to us.
SSL is the industry standard for secure commerce transactions. It prevents your personal information from being read by someone else as it travels across the Internet. All of your personal information is encrypted, including credit card number, name and address. While we implement the above security measures on this website, you should be aware that 100% security is not always possible.
Information from Other Sources
We may also obtain information from other sources that help us analyze, update, expand our records and identify new guests (e.g., updating contact information or adding demographic information). Cost U Less uses the information to improve our ability to contact you and increase the relevance of our marketing to you. These companies must follow privacy laws when collecting and sharing the information with Cost U Less.
Links to Other Websites
Customer Privacy Statement
Respecting your personal information is an important part of our commitment to you. Our Customer Privacy Statement lists the practices that we follow so that you can see when and how we use your personal information, and to show you that we only use that information responsibly.
- When you buy or order a product from us, you give us permission to collect, use, keep and disclose personal information that we have already collected about you as well as any additional personal information that you may provide to us, but only for the following reasons:
- To carry out our normal business activities, like answering your questions, processing your order, arranging for payment, maintaining tax records, etc.
- To send you catalogues, flyers and offers about our products or services.
- To carry out any other legitimate business activity, as long as you know about it and have given us permission to collect, use, keep or disclose your personal information in carrying on that activity.
- To satisfy legal or regulatory requirements.
- We will not give your personal information to any other business, except under the following conditions:
- If another business is performing a service for us or for you, we may tell them that portion of your personal information that they need to know to perform that service.
- If we sell, lease, reorganize or dispose of any of our businesses, we will ask the new owner/operator to agree to treat your personal information in the same way that we do.
- We might compile data and provide it to another business. For example, a manufacturer might ask for the number of warranty claims filed against a certain product. If we do this, we will make sure that you cannot be individually identified.
- Sometimes, other businesses ask us if our customers would like to know about their products or services. If we think that you might be interested and you give us permission, we would give your information to that business, but only so that they could offer you their products or services.
- If you ask us in writing, we will remove some or all of your personal information from our records, unless there is a reason why we have to keep it. If we have to keep it, we will remove it as soon as we can.
For more information about our personal information practices, please visit our website at www.northwest.ca, call 1-800-563-0002, or e-mail us at PrivacyOffice@northwest.ca.
(Updated September 2018)